Youth Olympics 2010
Okay, I'm going to talk about the Youth Olympics 2010 moving to NTU. But first, a disclaimer... this post is not meant to be political, nor is it meant to be a protest, nor is it meant to be an intellectual argument based on facts. It's just me being bored and ranting.
Ooh, forgot to mention that I love Singapore and every year during NDP when they sing "Majulah Singapura", I tear a little. Seriously. Happy 43rd Birthday, Singapore! Although I must admit that I fell asleep during the performance part of the show and woke up just in time for the fireworks. What can I say? I like army men in uniform more. Haha. =P
The Youth Olympics 2010 coming to NTU came as a shock to me. It was so sudden, the move. I'm not sure if what I read was correct, but the move to NTU was about saving money (oh but wait, they spent a 6 figure sum changing the direction of The Flyer -_-") and hinging on the resources that we already have. I wished that if we knew that we had not enough money in the first place(I mean, we surely had factored in inflation, right?), then we shouldn't have bid for the Youth Olympics. I, as much as any Singaporean, was proud that our country beat Moscow to be the first Youth Olympics holding ground. I mean, we will be in the history and record books. But this move to NTU will delay the school term for 2 months. 2 months! Meaning school will start in October and end probably late December.
Okay, I know my gribes are about the little things, but it's the little things that matter to the little people in NTU. What about IHG, what about ISG? What about FOCs? And, where are the hall residents going to sleep while the foreign sports delegates use up the 16 halls? The streets, I suppose. I mean, who cares about us, right?
Perhaps this is a government decision. But it did cross my mind that NTU wanted the Youth Olympics to come.
Maybe someone will solve all these small problems soon, maybe the problems are solved already, maybe they don't think it's a problem. I know I would have graduated by 2010 anyways. But it just pains me to know that hall culture is being increasingly eroded away by things like holding up the bottomline.
I'm just a little girl and I may not know what I'm ranting about or that I may not have any business sense (since Youth Olympics 2010 is going to bring in money). But I do know that we shouldn't be made to evacuate our rooms or give up IHG or hall culture. I mean, that's what NTU wants to promote to the freshies, right? Hall culture? If not, why allow all freshmen a room? Okay, my two cents worth is done.
I'm going to rant about how some scholar thinks that by putting up one less firework in the sky, we will be able to produce one more scholar next. Wait for it.
Ooh, forgot to mention that I love Singapore and every year during NDP when they sing "Majulah Singapura", I tear a little. Seriously. Happy 43rd Birthday, Singapore! Although I must admit that I fell asleep during the performance part of the show and woke up just in time for the fireworks. What can I say? I like army men in uniform more. Haha. =P
The Youth Olympics 2010 coming to NTU came as a shock to me. It was so sudden, the move. I'm not sure if what I read was correct, but the move to NTU was about saving money (oh but wait, they spent a 6 figure sum changing the direction of The Flyer -_-") and hinging on the resources that we already have. I wished that if we knew that we had not enough money in the first place(I mean, we surely had factored in inflation, right?), then we shouldn't have bid for the Youth Olympics. I, as much as any Singaporean, was proud that our country beat Moscow to be the first Youth Olympics holding ground. I mean, we will be in the history and record books. But this move to NTU will delay the school term for 2 months. 2 months! Meaning school will start in October and end probably late December.
Okay, I know my gribes are about the little things, but it's the little things that matter to the little people in NTU. What about IHG, what about ISG? What about FOCs? And, where are the hall residents going to sleep while the foreign sports delegates use up the 16 halls? The streets, I suppose. I mean, who cares about us, right?
Perhaps this is a government decision. But it did cross my mind that NTU wanted the Youth Olympics to come.
Maybe someone will solve all these small problems soon, maybe the problems are solved already, maybe they don't think it's a problem. I know I would have graduated by 2010 anyways. But it just pains me to know that hall culture is being increasingly eroded away by things like holding up the bottomline.
I'm just a little girl and I may not know what I'm ranting about or that I may not have any business sense (since Youth Olympics 2010 is going to bring in money). But I do know that we shouldn't be made to evacuate our rooms or give up IHG or hall culture. I mean, that's what NTU wants to promote to the freshies, right? Hall culture? If not, why allow all freshmen a room? Okay, my two cents worth is done.
I'm going to rant about how some scholar thinks that by putting up one less firework in the sky, we will be able to produce one more scholar next. Wait for it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home