Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hong Kong

My second time to Hong Kong. Still I did all those touristy things like visiting Victoria Peak and the Avenue of Stars, cuz JW and his family have not been here before.

View of Hong Kong's buildings - part of the Symphony of Lights on the Avenue of Stars.

Sleeping Beauty Castle in Disneyland.

Shopping was a huge disappointment. Perhaps due to a lack of time, perhaps because I have been to shopping places in Korea and Taiwan...I ended up not buying much in Hong Kong. My buys included a beige clutch, a tigger keychain, a cow tee and unfortunately that's about it. :( Very pathetic, I know.

But I got to spend another holiday with JW, so that was nice. And I got to visit Disneyland for the first time. Probably if you compare Hong Kong's Disneyland to Japan's Disneyland or the Disneyland in USA, you would think Hong Kong is the lousiest. But I haven't been to other Disneylands yet. Sure, it's small, as compared to many themeparks, including Ocean Park. But still, the magic of Disneyland often left me reminiscing about my childhood and thinking back on fairytales. The characters left me with a sense of familiarity and wonderment. I liked how Hong Kong's Disneyland was decidedly family-friendly and I think if I have a family and I visited Hong Kong again, I would be pleased to stay in the Disneyland Resort, cuz even though it is small, we still couldn't walk finish the whole park or sit all the rides. Two days would be just nice. Sure, Disneyland is commercial; there are queues everywhere, ugly tourist behaviour and crowds and Disney is probably racist etc, propagating stereotypes through its shows and characters, but in my personal Asian female opinion, I don't give a shit what colour skin the princesses are. It's just magical staring up at Sleeping Beauty's castle and seeing fireworks exploding around it as Beauty and the Beast waltzed along through a holographic. :) 

And I got to sit the uber cool tram up Victoria Peak again. Whee! Yumcha-ed every morning. I don't think I would want to go to a dimsum buffet again. Nothing is worth it as compared to Hong Kong's yumcha, which is big on quality, quantity and low on price. Sadly, they hardly have har gaos on the menu. Also got the chance to visited Lantau Island. And you can't believe the number of people I have met in Hong Kong. Haha. Cheryl Quek, Jessica, Vincent and Dru. :D

As my plane landed in Singapore, I was thinking about where I should head to during my one week break in end December. Haha. Where should I spend Christmas? :P       

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home