Monday, August 11, 2008

President Scholars & Fireworks

Another non-political, non-offensive rant. I heard recently from Soon Ning, that in a speech some president scholar had given, he said that by blowing up one less firework during NDP, we will be able to produce one more president scholar. Yes, the ingenuity of that notion. Fireworks = Scholarships. Hmmz. My dad says one firework cost about $500. I don't think $500 is a notable sum to be a scholarship. But then again, I doubt my dad is an expert on fireworks and their cost.

Secondly, has elitism drove us to such an extent that for one person's sake, we deprive many from the enjoyment of fireworks? (I really really love fireworks! =) As the commentator said during NDP, "fireworks bring out the child in you") Sure, a scholarship is important, it just means one more future government official who studied abroad. (I still love you, Michelle Chan. Don't be mad at me.)

The reality is that while a lot of middle-incomed families can send their children abroad to study, there are not many of us who can afford to send up fireworks into the sky for our individual enjoyment. I think nowadays a lot of families in Singapore do not need the scholarships. They are not poor to that extent. The children just do better in school. I hope all these future government officials think of other cost-cutting measures (such as lowering their pay) before considering taking away fireworks from the rest of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home