Saturday, May 1, 2010

Sharp Blade Hong Gil Dong

I just spent the whole night watching "Sharp Blade Hong Gil Dong" (I only slept at 630am, when the newspaper guy dropped the newspapers at my place). It's currently showing on Channel U on week nights at 1130pm.

This series is damn good lah. It's different from the others that I used to watch, being a period drama and at first I didn't think highly of it (but I usually don't think highly of Korean dramas until I'm caught up in the whole story). It has just the right amount of comedy, romance, action and morals. We all strive to achieve something and when we have achieved something, it's still hard to be contented, we want more. We will also do anything to protect what we treasure most. In this case for the Prince, it was his kingdom and Enok (which he lost :(), for Enok, it was Hong Gil Dong and for Hong Gil Dong, it was Enok and for a country where everybody is equal (a bit communistic in my opinion, but don't mind me, I'm in love with the Prince). So everybody sort of gets what they want in the end, even though Enok and Hong Gil Dong die(?).  

Spoilers: The ending was different from all the other shows I previously watched. There was no sappy, happy ending, which was good, I guess, for making the character of Hong Gil Dong seem more of a legend. I didn't cry at the end mostly cuz I was too busy fast-forwarding through the series and maybe cuz I don't feel touched or anything about Hong Gil Dong and Enok's love. My heart was crying out for the poor prince/king though. Haiz. So poor thing, end up not being able to be with the woman he loves because she loves another.

And he is younger and cuter and more established and nicer to her lor. RAH! Okay, so he has a penchant for wearing eyeliner. So what? Okay, so he looks stupid in the king's costume. He's damn cute in his going out attire. And he's a good character at the end of the day, a good king (who attacked Hong Gil Dong because they had differences in the way the country should be run; monarchy or communistic). At first I thought Jang Geun Seok, playing the prince, didn't look handsome, but his cool demenour won me over and his character grows on me. I love how he always acts cool and calm and then when things involve Enok, his expression would change so drastically. You could tell how much Enok meant to him. Sigh... Why can't she like him? I can't believe that he was only 20 during the point of filming. Anyhow's he's a 1987 baby! :D  

Did I also mention how much I like the score? From rock and roll during the fight scenes to sad, sentimental pieces for the heart-wrenching moments, the music made all the scenes even more poignant and relevant. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home